Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I just finished my MBA and I am looking for work, what do I do?

"...thanks for reaching out, and more importantly, CONGRATULATIONS on finally finishing the MBA - it's a great way to tell employers "See, I can finish anything I set my mind to!".

As for your career search, there are several ways you can go about it, but if you have already graduated, then you are a few months behind the program!

Your search should have begun months ago, during the last term/semester of your program. I am sure there were several corporate recruiters attending job fairs throughout the year on campus, and I hope you made it out to see them. If you did, your best bet is to start calling everyone you are interested in working with. Then, let them know what type of role you are interested in. Sending a generic resume with a generic cover letter, is a sure way to get your resume filed in the round "G" filing cabinet, under the desk, or sent to the bottom of the pile...Unless of course, the employer is desperate, in which case...you should ask yourself; do you really want to work there?


Go to your career centre; part of the criteria when those magazines evaluate a Good B-School is their placement rates. It is in your school's best interest to get you a job ASAP (That's what keeps THEM in business and high on the "Top X" list), so go, check out your career centre, talk to a Councillor, and see how they can help you, you'd be surprised at the wealth of knowledge they have at their fingertips.

Do you know what type of job you are looking for? Sure, it's easy and great if you have a specialized degree, but what if you don't? Figure it out. It's important, not just for personal growth but to help hiring managers/recruiters etc. see how they can fit you into their puzzle. Don't make me, or some hiring manager have to figure it out, because we are usually only worried about filling the precise openings that are on our desk/division/mandate (the alternative is that we will be out looking for our own jobs, quite quickly). So, very quickly, you need to be able to tell them "Hi, I am looking for X job, in Y division, do you have any opportunities for me?".

Now pay attention to this part: If they say "no, I can't help you", you're immediate follow up question should be "Do you know anyone that has such an opportunity, or that I could network with to identify such a role?".

This is a very important question, so don't forget to ask.

Anyway, this is a start. Of course, check the job boards, and see what's there...but, most importantly NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK! my tool of choice is linkedin. If we aren't already connected, connect to me by going to my linkedin home page, and connect. My address is on my site, add me. www.linkedin.com/konst2k I accept all invites. Then, explore my network and see who can help you find your dream job. If you need to use me as a reference, email me at my address, and tell me why.

That's it for now!

Good luck.
2K

No comments: