Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's the best way to used linkedin in my job search?

Linkedin is possibly the greatest networking tool for someone in your situation. Personally, I can't help you, as my firm focuses exclusively on job seekers at the Sr. Manager level, and up. BUT, that doesn't mean I can't give you some solid advice.

Steps to successful networking via linkedin:

a) Find the top 3 industries you feel you could best leverage your experience in (we can talk about the "why" later)

b) find the "Top 50 Employers in Canada" or if you're in the US, money.cnn.com and Fortune have similar lists for each industry, or find the best 2-4 companies in each of the 3 industries that you find in section a. using the top 35 list, and other sources.

c) go to linkedin and identify everyone in your/our network that you feel are important roles in each of these companies...and network with them. Call them directly, or send them an email. Talk to them, let them know what you are doing, and listen to what they have to say. If you are new to an industry, talk to Industry experts, and really listen to their insight...And after 10-15 minutes of listening. Ask them "Do you know anyone that would be interested in someone with my skill sets? Or that I could network with to help identify potential opportunities?".

Hopefully, this will give you a new solid list to work from as you begin your job search effort.
I don't have any upcoming opportunities that you'd be a good fit for (mostly because I work on more senior roles), but, again, go through my network, and if there is anyone you need help connecting with, please, use me as a reference.

Good luck,

Konstantinos Kasekas

No comments: